Your shower is a sanctuary—a place of rejuvenation and relaxation. But what happens when the tranquillity is disrupted by an unwelcome guest: a cracked shower base? Fear not, a cracked shower base can often be repaired but the approach depends on the severity and extent of the damage. Read on to find out more.
Understanding the Culprits – Why Do Shower Bases Crack?
Before diving into the repair process, it’s crucial to understand the factors that can lead to a cracked shower base:
- Structural Settling – Over time, the foundation of your home can settle, causing stress on the shower base and potentially resulting in cracks.
- Poor Installation – Incorrect installation of the shower base, such as uneven support or insufficient adhesive, can lead to vulnerability and eventual cracking.
- Impact Damage – Accidental impacts, heavy objects dropped, or even vigorous scrubbing can cause cracks in the shower base.
- Age and Wear – With prolonged use, the materials of the shower base may weaken, making it susceptible to cracks.
Common Methods Used For Repairing Cracked Shower Bases
Patch Kits – For small hairline cracks or minor surface damage, you can use patch kits specifically designed for shower base repairs. These kits typically contain a patching material that you apply over the crack. They may not be suitable for all kinds of cracks so make sure you check the instructions properly.
Epoxy Resin – For larger cracks or structural issues, epoxy resin can be an effective solution. Epoxy is a durable and water-resistant material that can bond well with the shower base material. The process involves mixing the epoxy according to the manufacturer’s instructions, applying it to the crack, and allowing it to cure. This method is more robust and suitable for most substantial repairs.
Professional Repair Services – In cases where the crack is extensive or the structural integrity of the shower base is compromised, it’s advisable to seek professional help. A skilled technician can assess the damage, recommend the appropriate repair method, and ensure a thorough and lasting fix.
Have You Considered Relining Your Shower?
Shower relining is a practical and effective solution for covering a cracked shower base. This method involves installing a new lining or surface over the existing shower base, providing a fresh and durable finish. It not only addresses the cosmetic issue of the crack but also reinforces the structural integrity of the shower.
The Benefits of Shower Relining
- Cosmetic Improvement – It provides a fresh and updated look to your shower, covering unsightly cracks and imperfections.
- Structural Reinforcement – The new lining can contribute to reinforcing the structural integrity of the shower base, preventing further damage.
- Waterproofing – Properly installed shower lining creates a waterproof barrier, protecting the underlying structure from water damage.
- Cost-Effective – Relining is often a more cost-effective solution compared to a full shower replacement.
Cracked Shower Repair is Easy with Inner Bath
If you have concerns about the severity of the crack or if the damage is extensive, consulting with a professional may be advisable to explore the most suitable repair or replacement options for your specific situation. At Inner Bath, we specialise in shower relining. Don’t waste time and money on replacing your entire shower to repair cracked shower base, we can restore your shower in less than 3 hours by relining! Contact us online for more information or call 1300 228 488 (1300 BATHTUB) today.